Note: The lemongrass, galangal, and kaffir lime leaves are traditionally left in the soup, but are not meant to be eaten. A video I should've done a long time ago, so thanks to one of our" sm.src = h + s + '.mjs' + v; (w[n].q = w[n].q || []).push(arguments); Garnish the soup with chopped cilantro and/or green onions. But as I've kind of gained more confidence in myself, I've relaxed my take a little bit. I still want to present the food in an authentic way, but I'm not going to stress out over an ingredient that I can't find, or a technique that's just not practical to do in a condo. They also highlight the cultural background of each dish; from steaming bowls of tom kha gai to crispy coconut corn fritters, Chongchitnant weaves stories from her own life and childhood into each video. Pailin Chongchitnant (Pai) was born on 4 March 1983 in Hat Yai, Thailand. Pailin has a couple of brothers, Art and Eddie. She is 84 years old and was last seen getting into a yellow taxi at 6am on the morning of Oct 12. But there really is so much more and there really is a lot more freedom when it comes to cooking. Hot Thai Kitchen." They have a son named Kaan. Hot Thai Kitchen | Pailin Chongchitnant on Patreon Jan 21, 2018 at 3:56 PM Introducing Mr. and I say I'm from Thailand, the first thing they'll say is, "I love Thai food." Article content. Technique-wise, it's quite easy. If you are happy with my work, please support me by donating. Eggplant Stir-Fry A dish that comes together very quickly, its a much different way to prepare and eat eggplant compared to baking it in the oven like Eggplant Parmesan. f.parentNode.insertBefore(sn, f); w[n] = w[n] || fn; People have come to have faith in her recipes and thats something shes very proud of and takes seriously. sn.noModule = true; You are subscribing to the FBC Food Lovers Newsletter. Associated With She was inspired by cooking shows hosted by Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson. I posted my first video showing people how to make what I thought was the most famous Thai dish: tom yum goong. Here's my story. Thai recipes are everywhere on the internet,but I want to share something more: a true understanding of the steps and the ingredients, and even the cultural background of the dish. I called her up to dish (pun intended) about the most common misconceptions about Thai cuisine, how food and identity intertwine, and what it means to make your own rules in the culinary world. Food is a tool for communal gathering and togetherness, especially during this time of year. Food Trends TV: Crikey! With that dream on the backburner, she got a degree in Nutritional Science at the University of British Columbia, went on to work in professional kitchens, and eventually attended culinary school at Le Cordon Bleu in San Francisco. Pailin Chongchitnant is a popular food YouTuber. She has been featured in many major publications such as The New York Times, Serious Eats and Bon Appetit. For more than 12 years, Pailin Chongchitnant has hosted the YouTube cooking show Hot Thai Kitchen. I am interested what brand of cookware she is using . My family and I have loved eating at Thai restaurants since I was a kid, but for most of my life, I always thought of Thai cuisine as outside of my scope for cooking at home, and maybe subconsciously relegated it to being a "takeout food" because it felt so complex. "I got really excited about the possibility of being able to do this without anybody's permission.". I maintained my interest in cooking throughout my teen years, but with the introduction of cable TVI also discovered "cooking shows.". She settled on using Final Cut Pro and learned through trial and error and resource sites like Lynda.com. var sm = d.createElement(t); They also highlight the cultural background of each dish; from steaming bowls of tom kha gai to crispy coconut corn fritters, Chongchitnant weaves stories from her own life and childhood into each video. This beautiful location is Tewa Boutique Hotel in Bangkok. The Thai people are just so eager and willing to help other people, especially people who are foreigners, that they see are unfamiliar with the place. There's something about picking apart meat in crab shells, it's more of an activity there's action involved in this eating rather than just just putting the food in your mouth. It's huge. A handwritten, customized HTK Thank You Card mailed to you! Add the coconut milk, lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, Thai chilies, 11/2 Tbsp of the fish sauce, and palm sugar. Her team consists of a friend whos in charge of pressing record on the camera, making sure her mic is on and everythings in focus. 'use strict'; document.addEventListener(evt, handler, false); fbq('init', '252475231843252'); // Insert your pixel ID here. Although things are improving, were still far away. Share with me in the comment section below. With diff flavors. However, at the end of the day content still rules. Also, anything that involves self grilling, or hot pot is a great holiday meal. After attending the University of British Columbia, she made her way to Le Cordon Bleu culinary school in San Francisco, and began cooking for both Western and Thai restaurants. Then again, there are others who succeeded without school. We don't even use the oveneverything happens on the stovetop, more or less quickly. So I gave up trying to make my own. THANK YOU, your support really means a lot. But then interestingly, when I talk to people and they ask me, "Where are you from?" It's still all Thai. Experience Pailin Chongchitnant grew up cooking with her family in Southern Thailand. . But if I was sitting in a French restaurant, would I have had the same reaction to these prices? Food is a tool for communal gathering and togetherness, especially during this time of year. As a young girl she dreamt of hosting her own cooking show. My Patreon members get to watch videos early with no ads or sponsor messages, plus you get regular bonus videos sharing extra tips and tidbits. While studying at the culinary school, Pailin desired to have her own cooking show. Add coconut milk. Chongchitnant started her YouTube channel, Pailin's Kitchen, while working as a chef in the San Francisco Bay Area after completing a culinary arts degree at Le Cordon Bleu.She . Thanks. background:transparent !important; You've been learning a. Please help me find this info if you can. During that time, Pailin monetised her YouTube channel and became a full-time YouTuber. While growing up, her live-in grandmother who was also a family cook taught Pailin all the basics of Thai cooking. And there should be some really refined things so that if people really want to experience the deluxe version, they know that it's out there and it exists. She admits that the bar has been raised by YouTubers everywhere, including herself. But if I was sitting in a French restaurant, would I have had the same reaction to these prices? February 28, 2023 After living for a few years in the United States, as Pailin got permanent residency in Canada, she moved back to Vancouver, Canada. And the videos are resonating widely; the channel has more than 1.4 million subscribers worldwide. He has more than half a million subscribers on his eponymous YouTube channel. This video was a suggestion from one of our Discord members and I thought it was a great suggestion. "I got really excited about the possibility of being able to do this without anybody's permission.". You can remove them after this step or inform your guests not to eat them. Because Thai food is still relatively unknown, Pai accepts her role of helping people and spends huge portions of her week answering questions on YouTube, email and anywhere viewers find her. Excerpted by permission of Appetite by Random House, a division of Random House of Canada Ltd. a Penguin Random House company. And when you gather, the only thing that's different is your food is more elaborate or extravagant. "I got really excited about the possibility of being able to do this without anybody's permission.". So, how are you inspired by the success story of Pailin Chongchitnant? It really helps me understand what is happen during the entire cooking process. Growing up in Hat Yai in southern Thailand, I always found myself in the kitchen, doing whatever I could to help prepare family dinners. 2023 WHRO Public Media | 5200 Hampton Boulevard, Norfolk VA 23508, 757.889.9400 | info@whro.org | Privacy Policy | HRETA EEO Public File Report | FCC Public Files. Entdecke Hot Thai Kitchen, Pailin Chongchitnant in groer Auswahl Vergleichen Angebote und Preise Online kaufen bei eBay Kostenlose Lieferung fr viele Artikel! With that dream on the backburner, she got a degree in Nutritional Science at the University of British Columbia, went on to work in professional kitchens, and eventually attended culinary school at Le Cordon Bleu in San Francisco. t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e)[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)}(window, So as it turned out I didn't need to be on TV to have a "real" cooking show. In the beginning, I didn't really think much of it. And just like that, the idea of a show was born and Pais dream was inching closer to reality. The 26-year-old creator of "Pailin's Kitchen," a tutorial on Thai food, admits having a thing for the camera. (function(url){ Cooking shows hosted by Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson offered her a dream: to one day be the host of her own cooking show. That kind of bothered me after a while, because the only thing that they know about Thailand or Thai people is that it automatically goes to Thai food. Pailin Chongchitnant Popularity Most Popular #251253 39 Year Old Chef #28 Pailin Chongchitnant Is A Member Of 39 Year Olds Chefs And I feel like there's so much more to being Thai. She referred to her husband Craig as "Mr. She was inspired by cooking shows hosted byJamie OliverandNigella Lawson. I am now back in Vancouver, with my husband Craig and my young son Kaan. Hi Claude To tempt you even more, Pai has graciously provided the recipe for Tom Ka Gai which is her Coconut Galangal Chicken Soup. (My personal favorite is her recipe for instant pot massaman curry; the freshly toasted warm spices and rich curry is more soul-nourishing and flavorful than any bowl I've had at a restaurant). Pailin Chongchitnant is a popular food YouTuber. It's still all Thai. And that's something that I've noticed myself, too. But while her love of food was always a driving force, the road to Chongchitnant's current position had some unexpected turns. Tuesdays at 9pm on WNED PBS. Chuck D of Public Enemy explores Hip Hop's political awakening over the last 50 years. That's when she started being able to envision what pursuing a career in food could look like. Though eventually I did when I joined a Canadian food channel Gusto as a host for their cooking show One World Kitchen. sn.noModule = true; Well, let's take a look at what it does. But as she got older, Chongchitnant realized that there was no clear path for hosting a TV show about a cuisine deemed "niche" by mainstream networks. Traditional is the "official" way a dish is done. f.parentNode.insertBefore(sm, f); Add the mushrooms and cook for another 12 minutes to soften. Later, Pailin secured the job of a chef in a Thai restaurant group and helped them open a new restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area. Before recording the videos, Pai tests her recipes so theyre precise and perfect for her viewers. !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s){if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function(){n.callMethod? .section-subscribe div[data-ff-el="root"] > div { Thank you. YouTube star and Vancouverite Pailin Chongchitnant is also the author of the bestselling Hot Thai Kitchen. /* Slickstream Engagement Suite Embedder */ PAILIN CHONGCHITNANT was born and raised in Thailand. Published December 28, 2021 at 1:31 PM EST. Recipes on HotThaiKitchen.com . Most people come to Thai food thinking that it's complex and complicated. There should be medium things so people can go have a nice meal for their birthday if they want. } Technique-wise, it's quite easy. Unsigned musicians: Enter the Contest by sending NPR Music a video of you playing an original song behind a desk between February 7 and March 13. So start by learning about ingredients one at a time and then just start building your knowledge repertoire of what each ingredient does and tastes like, and it'll all seem it'll all fall into place. But while her love of food was always a driving force, the road to Chongchitnant's current position had some unexpected turns. She referred to her husband Craig as "Mr. How do you feel about that perception of Thai cuisine? I still want to present the food in an authentic way, but I'm not going to stress out over an ingredient that I can't find, or a technique that's just not practical to do in a condo. if (window.removeEventListener) { After attending the University of British Columbia, she made her way to Le Cordon Bleu culinary school in San Francisco, and began cooking for both Western and Thai restaurants. 4. This is why I "speak English so well," as many have asked, aside from my 1-year stint as an exchange student in New Zealand. I'm curious if there are any preconceived notions that you've noticed people have about Thai ingredients, flavors, and food overall. On our show we've been interested in exploring the relationship between food and identityfood is often something that people take pride in as a signifier of where they come from, or alternatively, something they might feel some sense of shame around based on negative stereotypes or experiences. WOW, I am so totally grateful! var sn = d.createElement(t); Culinary school trained Pai in all the classical French methods but she kept finding herself leaning back to her Thai roots. gtag('config', 'UA-20468476-2'); var sm = d.createElement(t); I was convinced that hosting a cooking show would be my dream job. But when I came across Hot Thai Kitchen, that quickly broke down those notions and made Thai cooking seem a lot more approachable. w.FlodeskObject = n; And that's something that I've noticed myself, too. Unlike a video that has to be as concise as possible, Pai found it freeing to write her book Hot Thai Kitchen: Demystifying Thai Cuisine With Authentic Recipes To Make At Home(affiliate link). addEvent(evts[i], logHuman); Getting back to this idea of Thai and Chinese food often being seen as take-out food, rather than fine dining you interviewed a chef at a Thai restaurant in Vancouver, and he also touched on this idea, and how their restaurant aims to challenge that. It's still food the Thai people eat and make. Cooking it at home, you don't have to make those specific dishesyou can have the freedom and the flexibility to put your own spin on it. } But if you're seeing people doing really incredible work, you all of a sudden know that, oh, these quote unquote immigrants are chefs and artists and people with high skills and abilities just like all the other well respected chefs in other cuisines. (function(w, d, t, h, s, n) { Growing up in Thailand, Pailin Chongchitnant spent her childhood with the kitchen as her playground. Pai's journey from Thailand to Canada did not have a road map but there was a will and a desire. After attending the University of British Columbia, she made her way to Le Cordon Bleu culinary school in San Francisco, and began cooking for both Western and Thai restaurants. Pailin Chongchitnant Renowned YouTuber ("Hot Thai Kitchen" and "Pai's Kitchen"); cookbook author; television presenter "My time at RIS was absolutely integral to who I am today. It adds some flavor, just like rosemary. Sometimes, I also write the success stories of brands. She also started working in pastry shops. Oh man, I have felt a lot of pressure. And during the COVID-19 pandemic, as the people were confined to homes and started watching YouTube and home cooking a lot, her channel grew even faster and crossed a million subscribers. In Thailand, you just eat whatever you want, whenever you want. After receiving two degrees from the University of British Columbia in Nutritional Sciences and Home Economics Education, she graduated from Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in San Francisco. But when I came across Hot Thai Kitchen, that quickly broke down those notions and made Thai cooking seem a lot more approachable. }; In January 2018, she married. So when you look at it that way, it's not anything difficult. Her latest book, Sabai, is filled with 100 . Australians Changed My Breakfast. If you don't have chicken stock, here's a shortcut! If you think Pai has a team or army at her disposal, youd be wrong. sm.type = 'module'; We cant help you with this. formId: '61d3141ba247a7a541995903' It also puts the people making the food at a higher level too, because if you think of the food as being something cheap, you kind of group the people cooking them in that light as wellthat they're all just immigrants doing cheap labor work back there. var logHuman = function() { But at the same time, I wish there was more about Thailand that people knew that we could talk about.