She had a difficult childhood rattled with extreme poverty and racism. What a great lesson for all girls to be positive, as well as to see past negativity on a daily basis to live life to the fullest just like Cinderella did. My kids have never been to the theater before, but Id love to take them. Each story teaches an important moral lesson. I get upset when people talk about how Disney princess movies send the message to girls that they need a man. There is no magic wand in life, there is no real prince charming that swoops in and makes like wonderful (yes you can have a great husband but he doesnt have a magic wand either). The story's protagonist is Cinderella, a girl who lives with her father, stepmother, and stepsisters (her own mother has died). And she falls for his. To juxtapose goodness in the story, Cinderella's stepsisters didn't recognize her at the ball and after the event her sister Charlotte said, 'Lend my clothes to such a dirty Cinderwench as you are! The story was told as an oral folktale with versions in several cultures for centuries before Perrault's version was published (and his was not the first published version, either). In the Grimm Brothers' version of the story, the sisters even get their eyes pecked out by birds for additional punishment. Zacchaeus became a changed man because of that time with Jesus. Cinderella, treated cruelly by her stepmother and stepsisters, ended up ruling It is a tale of sibling rivalry (and subliminally, of sex-role stereotyping)--a moral fable about socialization. He was willing to put his life and dreams in the hands of Ernesto de la Cruz, which led to his temporary downfall. And yes, I would be fine with my daughter wanting to be Cinderella. You're an icon, Capricorn. Thanks Andrea and hope you get to take your daughter soon, too! Since most girls dream of being Cinderella, here is why I would be happy for my daughters to be more like her. I totally cant wait to see this movie! , I hope you can take your girl soon and think you are going to love this movie, too Chris . I can literally remember it like it were yesterday: I was terrified and clutching my red folder like it was my lifesaver in a room where I was drowning. At age 15, she was shot by the Taliban on her school bus because of her desire and persistence to pursue an education. Disney has come so far and I love the messages now in the films:) Congrats on raising a positive and kind little lady! She spends the night dancing with the prince, loses her glass slipper, and finds the man of her dreams because of the missing shoe. [rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F03%2F04%2F636242680701972573-1795773660_cleaning.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=60&h=7506d00d5e9fa34982a8604788397280cfe94583cbd40b99c911fbe24070026f&size=980x&c=3651964409 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2017%252F03%252F04%252F636242680701972573-1795773660_cleaning.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D60%26h%3D7506d00d5e9fa34982a8604788397280cfe94583cbd40b99c911fbe24070026f%26size%3D980x%26c%3D3651964409%22%7D" expand=1]. From that moment, the girl begins to be a victim of abuse, mistreatment, and humiliations of her evil stepmother and her spoiled and jealous stepsisters. This big trend right now is to hate on Disney fairy tales and demonize the concept of happily ever after that makes little girls swoon.. its like, COME ON. Cinderellas stepsisters and stepmother dress in their finest clothes and go to the ball. . Such is the case, with not only her heart of gold in her daily dealings with her evil stepmother and/or stepsisters. Temple Grandin is arguably one of the most inspirational human beings to date. I agree with you. Even though Cinderella has no money and is controlled by her cruel stepmother and stepsisters, the fairy godmother appears to magically provide everything she lacks so that she can get the happiness she deserves. And yet, you smiled and told me your name. I always loved the story of Cinderella. This is what Cinderellas godmother gave to her when she taught her to behave like a queen. Her eyes started flowing with tears, but she did not give up and began to weed the fields with her own hands. However, the fairy godmother miraculously appears to help Cinderella, because Cinderella is a good person and deserves happiness more than her wicked stepsisters. And I am not a huge fan of the animated version so that says a lot. I love how you emphasized all of the good qualities that Cinderella possessed. Cinderella then marries the prince and is rescued from the cruel home of her childhood. We see each other frequently and always have some new story (and a Spongebob reference or two). Every single one of my history classes has thus far been the chronicle of world events as told by men about men. I knew from looking at you that you were the cool kid in the room, the one who knew what was happening and didn't care about any of it. Glad your girls liked it, Janine! Of course, my girls and I viewedDisneys live action Cinderella moviewhen it first opened. We havent seen it yet. So, I truly just glad I shared my take away and really just so enjoy this new movie on an old classic . Cinderella is always gracious, kind and patience; even though the stepmother and the sisters are evil, she patiently tolerates their treatment. From the idea of good prevailing over evil or the impact wealth has on life, the themes of this folktale are essential in both life and literature. Hello, there! Clare Regelbrugge, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Sign in to comment to your favorite stories, participate in your community and interact with your friends. Rather than carry resentment for all the pain they caused her, Cinderella lifts her sisters up off the ground while they are crying, forgives them, and says she wishes they will always love her. It also instructs young girls to see the world not as WebThe Not so Perfect Role Models In her article The Messed-Up Lessons Were Surrounded By As Girls Niyathi Chakrapani articulates the negative impact Disney princess films and toy dolls have on younger girls. Cinderella never once felt as though she deserved a godmother, she was simply thankful. The sultan learned the hard way that not all friends can be trusted such as with Jarfar. A theme is the central idea, subject, topic, or underlying meaning of a piece of writing. Moral: Having courage and believing in oneself even in times of adversity and how good people are rewarded for their goodness. Though life has changed our paths and you go to a different school, we still talk weekly, sometimes daily. This fairytale reflects values such as perseverance and determination. So cant wait to go see it with my kidssounds like a complete delight, in many ways! As a young girl, Audrey lived under German occupation in the Netherlands. I think my boys would do well, but Im not sure my soon to be 3 year old would sit through the whole thing. The term graciousness can actually be interpreted as the embodiment of all her good qualities such as perseverance, patience, courage, andbravery. Audrey Hepburn was a true Renaissance woman. Whether its the familiar scent of Chanel no 5 on your classy aunt or the covet-worthy quilted purse in the window of Saks, we all know the Chanel name. One of the key moral lessons of Cinderella is the importance of kindness and compassion. But youre right, theres a lot of good to be taken from them, as well, and shared with our daughters. Thanks Elaine and I know truly some great lessons here for our kids. She also pioneered her famous Chanel suit thus empowering working women. Finally, its Cinderellas turn the slipper fits her feet perfectly, and the prince recognizes her. However, the magic will end at midnight (except the glass slippers), so she must leave by then. I really want to go see this movie with my two girls! WebOn the day of the royal ball, when the step-mother and step-sisters were about to leave, they saw Cinderella in the gown. Home Language English Language Literature What is the Moral of Cinderella. For example, the saying trust your gut or trust yourself implies that deep down, a person knows the right choice to make. There are several themes in "Cinderella.". [rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F03%2F05%2F6362426995903178561509578323_Imagine.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=1017&h=4e478d4a99232a40820374f86fdd4eb2c6692873fe335506e92550a19bb50ac6&size=980x&c=1260492371 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2017%252F03%252F05%252F6362426995903178561509578323_Imagine.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D1017%26h%3D4e478d4a99232a40820374f86fdd4eb2c6692873fe335506e92550a19bb50ac6%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1260492371%22%7D" expand=1], Every accomplishment and milestone started out as a dream. There is not a single human alive who can keep every emotion pent up forever. She turned the fashion world on its head by liberating women from the hated corset in favor of a more comfortable yet still elegant style. But hope you can get to see Cinderella soon, too . What was Cinderella real name? Cinderellas real name is Ella (Mary Beth Ella Gertrude) via the Disney version of the tale. However, in other versions she had many other names. The Grimm brothers (they wrote the original) version is Cinderella (Aschenputtel). This lesson works in two harmful ways: it promotes the idea that happiness only comes from being in a relationship and that love will fix any problems faced in life. Very good lessons you picked up from the movie! She likes to be in charge and loves to boss me around. Bev and I have four kids and I swear, I dont think well ever have grandkidsso Ill live vicariously through you and this wonderful blog. Fun fact: the glass slipper is actually a translation error from the French language. Charles Perrault's Cinderella: Analysis & Quotes, Cinderella by Charles Perrault | Characters & Setting, Cinderella by Charles Perrault | Summary & History, Brothers Grimm in Cinderella | Original Cinderella Story Summary & Characters, The Sleeping Beauty in the Wood by Charles Perrault | Summary & Analysis, Bluebeard by Charles Perrault | Summary, Themes & Morals, Beauty & the Beast Fairy Tale | Story, Moral & Analysis, Rapunzel by the Grimm Brothers | Icons, Theme & Analysis, The Frog Prince by the Brothers Grimm | Themes & Analysis, Morals & Lessons in Fairy Tales: Purpose & Examples | Fairy Tales with Morals, Rapunzel by The Brothers Grimm | Characters & Analysis, Little Red Riding Hood: History & Summary, Little Red Riding Hood | Theme, Moral & Analysis, Themes in Hansel and Gretel by the Brothers Grimm | Examples & Analysis, Ali Baba & The Forty Thieves: Lesson for Kids. I should be such a fool.' I remember how we told each other everything, good and bad, and received hugs all the same. The stepmother and her two daughters treat her like a servant and make her do all the household chores. In her unwavering support and loyalty toher rodent friends, including the famous Gus Gus. Fairy tales are a way of using a big metaphor to teach children and society in general about the morals in life. No big surprise, my girls loved the movie. Because Cinderella is so good and kind, she forgives her stepsisters at the end of the story. Carrie, A Mothers Shadow, Aw, my pleasure Carrie and hope you get to see the new Cinderella very soon now . By having some key and notable losses for the princess and the prince, too. My love for dogs makes me do things like walk up to strangers on the street to pet their dog or cry uncontrollably when a dog dies in a movie. There are plenty of arguments out there for why the movie is a bad idea, but for the moment, Im completely OK with the message my Daughter is going to take from it. "Cinderella" (or "Cendrillon" in French) is a fairy tale by Charles Perrault, published in his 1697 collection "Tales of Mother Goose." Cinderella understood that she was more than a maid. Thank you. 20 chapters | This was great Janine. Ad of course, courage and kindness. Despite her struggles, Temple eventually found her passion for science and animals. Sure the gown is pretty & the glass slippers are great, but Cinderella is all of these things you have listed. Nicolette, I am truly with you on the part about wanting both my girls to know that they are self-reliant and dont need a man necessarily. Determination in Cinderella Cinderella, the original fairytale, is found in a collection of stories created by the Grimm brothers. The themes of the story are good versus evil and luck changing your life. [rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F03%2F04%2F6362426496193507201917388244_Optimistic.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=62&h=fafcd03bd61cc0cecb7e5537e79d359079e6c2ca5095e333f82466c909caa950&size=980x&c=1934977600 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2017%252F03%252F04%252F6362426496193507201917388244_Optimistic.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D62%26h%3Dfafcd03bd61cc0cecb7e5537e79d359079e6c2ca5095e333f82466c909caa950%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1934977600%22%7D" expand=1]. (moral lessons, life lessons etc.). This is shown through Cinderella receiving help from the fairy godmother, and living happily ever after with the prince (no longer confined to the cruel house of her childhood). I heard such great things about this movie. Furthermore, Frida challenged typical beauty standards through her art. Moral lesson in Cinderella. Any dog. The stepmother and stepsisters treat Cinderella poorly and make her do all the chores (Cinderella is a rude nickname her sisters came up with, based on the cinders from the fireplace, where she would go to rest after she finishing cleaning). Lauren, the theatre was full of kids of all ages and my 4 year old did great. I loved Cinderella too!! Radhi, SUNY Stony Brook3. People get hurt, and they let this put a wedge in their personal relationship with Christ. My 10-year-old daughter cant wait to see this! Imagine the world "not how it is, but how it could be. Discover the theme and morals of ''Cinderella'' by Charles Perrault. Instead of being thankful after the biggest event in town, she is selfish and self-centered. We need to praise the positive messages within the story. . WebIn this 3-5 lesson, students will compare and contrast culturally distinct variations of the fairy tale, Cinderella, from around the world. . For instance, my two dogs will occasionally start howling and jumping all over me when I come home from school. So much better than aspiring to be Miley Cyrus or Iggy Azalea. Oprah Winfrey! Sometimes big ones. And I really did love the romantic aspect of it because he falls for her in the forest messy hair, dirty face, but he falls for her beautiful heart. She also runs her own graphic design company at J9 Designs. Moral lessons may also incur physical symptoms. I took the kids to Cinderella this weekend and we loved it. Study now. Aww, great post! I saw a lot of hating going on with regards to this movie, so Im glad you wrote this to provide balance. A moral or a lesson is a key concept in fairy tales. Audrey Hepburn is remembered as one of the greatest actresses of the Golden Age of Hollywood, an international fashion icon and a humanitarian. Elton John! Nikki, neither would I as I would totally have punched one or all of them myself, too . If theyd sing and clean, Id take the singing mice from the original animated movie too! They called her names like 'Cinderwench' and 'nasty. When the prince throws a ball and invites all maidens in the kingdom, Cinderella cannot attend, but her fairy godmother appears and magically fashions her a carriage, horses, and ball gown that will all disappear at midnight (except for the glass slippers, which will remain after midnight). I love the lessons you were able to find in the story as well. Lise Meitner was an Austrian physicist who, alongside chemist Otto Hahn, discovered Nuclear fission. Think my six-year-old son would enjoy it too?