*Step 3 - *When the potatoes are cooked, add half the duck fat or oil to a large skillet and fry the potatoes in two lots and do not overcrowd the pan as you want them to be crispy golden on the outside. Peel Radish. Anyway, I was hooked from the very beginning, astounded at the juxtaposition of crunchy and creamy in each bite. Add butter and continue shaking pan and turning potatoes until butter melts. And finished off with a garlicky butter sauce that I'm confident will put these Louisiana fries on your permanent monthly rotation must-have list. $$$$. Your email address will not be published. Found in many New Orleans restaurant-from the classic creole to the neighborhood restaurant. The potatoes weren't bad, they just didn't live up to the rest of the meal. All garlicky with my favorite herb parsley prominently featured. The different crab entrees were huge hits with my family, as were the bread pudding and creme brle. Remove cooked potatoes with a slotted spoon and drain on a new stack of paper towels. Another celebrated south Louisiana side dish staple, Brabant potatoes are just as creamy on the inside as they are crunchy on the outside. That balance can be accomplished in a number of ways. Brabant potatoes. Oh, and you'll find lots of different types of original recipes created from my unique perspective. Its very quick and easy to make, and it will accompany just about any entree. You are free to print and sharing via Facebook share links and pinning with Pinterest are appreciated, welcomed and encouraged, but do not upload and repost photographs, or copy and paste post text or recipe text for republishing on Facebook, other websites, blogs, forums or other internet sites without explicit prior written approval. Then you shallow fry them in oil or fat and then toss them in garlic butter. Located in the heart of the historic French Quarter, GW Fins ensures the highest quality seafood, featuring only the best from local waters at their seasonal peak. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I don't exactly remember where, but I'm fairly certain that I had them at a French Quarter restaurant served alongside fish. Russet or Idaho potatoes are perfect. Once the garlic has softened remove the pan from the heat and set to one side. Remove from water and spread out on paper towels to dry. Brabant potatoes are flavoured with Creole or Cajun Seasoning. With fine herbes and Lyonnaise potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste, Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add the scallions, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Make sure to use enough oil to deep fry the potatoes. While I'm no stranger to Brabant potatoes, they were never really a part of my early life like their smothered potato cousins. HOURS OF OPERATION Monday: 5pm-9pm Tuesday: CLOSED Wednesday: 5pm-9pm Thursday: 5pm-9pm Friday: 5pm-10pm Saturday: 5pm-10pm Sunday: 5pm-9pm There you have it. 4 garlic cloves, minced Once all the potatoes are cooked, arrange them in a single layer on a large, rimmed baking sheet; set aside. Place a large ovenproof skillet/frying pan over high heat and pour in the oil. It's simple, and it produces amazing results. The classic New Orleans Creole dish is Trout Meuniere served with Brabant Potatoes. Yep. Valentines Special Menu Bring your special someone and enjoy a little getaway for this special day, highlighted by a couples dinner at Theodore's Dining Room and an evening at the historic Rough Riders Hotel. A Tale of Two Steakhouses | ImSoNOLA Report, Finger Food Friday: Blackened Chicken Bites, Blackened Chicken Sliders with Bacon and Avocado-Basil Cream, Grilled Baby Back Ribs with Chipotle-Cherry Barbecue Sauce, Finger Food Friday: Irish Channel Stout Cupcakes. Once it returns to a boil, let them go for no more than three minutes. Enjoy this fresh culinary experience in a historic and elegant atmosphere. In each instance, simply toss the cooked potatoes in the garlic butter before serving. Mashed, fried or roasted? Place the potatoes in a medium, heavy sauce pan and add enough water to cover. Mix the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese together in a small bowl and sprinkle the mixture over the potatoes. Crawfish and Gulf coast seafood delivery to your door. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven until soft, 15 to 20 minutes. The garlic wants to soften but never color. It's just not the same for me anymore. Claimed. Brabant Potatoes are the New Orleans french fry. Glad you omit salt. Lowers the temperature of the oil too quickly, which will result in soggy and greasy food, as opposed to crisp. Closed now : See all hours. Brabant Potatoes live up to those expectations. Get full Brabant Potatoes Recipe ingredients, how-to directions, calories and nutrition review. Place cream cheese stuffing on top and roll and toothpick close. Brabant Potatoes, Smoky Bacon Bernaise Sauce. Don't forget the generous drizzle of garlic butter! Add the chopped parsley to the garlic butter then spoon the butter over the hot potatoes. For starters, you can do a straight deep fry. 0 friends. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. So tell me Dear Reader, have you ever heard of Brabant potatoes? That's itall there is to it. Brabant Potatoes This old New Orleans side dish is different from most pan potato recipes such as hash or fritters which usually call for waxy potatoes. Lets see how we do it. Chicken & Mirliton Rochambeau $35.00. Add butter and continue shaking pan and turning potatoes until butter melts. Once they are parboiled, drain them on some paper towels for a few minutes until they are totally drained. These potatoes are low in moisture and absorbent and render fluffy when cooked. If necessary, do this in batches. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. These potatoes are low in moisture and absorbent and render fluffy when cooked. Your email address will not be published. Peel them carefully, and cut them into squares. Add potatoes, salt and pepper. You can use a bowl or a baking sheet with sides for this next part. You want the garlic cooked but it should not be browned at all. Cut potatoes into bite sized pieces and toss in the oil and roast for 20 minutes turning over halfway. Cut off the bottom, top and sides and then into 1/2-inch cubes. Please donate to this super amazing organization! Contact Us| Subscribe Newsletter|Privacy Policy| Advertise With Us, Click herefor crawfish and seafood distributors, office 504.208.9959,New Orleans, Louisiana, Tables of Weights Measures and Equivalents, New Orleans Style Bread Pudding with Hard Sauce, Chef Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Fish Filets. Brabant Potatoes are also known as Louisiana Fries or Fried Louisiana Potatoes. Instructions Air Fried Potatoes Preheat your air fryer to 375 for just a couple of minutes. The potatoes are boiled and then fried in a skillet to make the perfect easy side dish for serving with chicken and steak. Add the butter and continue shaking the pan until it is melted. Downstairs Dining Hours: Lunch 12-3 All Week Dinner 4-8 Sun-Th Dinner 4-8:30 Fri & Sat Happy Hour Every Day Last Seating 8:00. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes until the butter melts. these are a pushy recipe Dear Reader! Add the potatoes and fry for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown and tender. Works fine so long as you thoroughly drain the potatoes before adding them to the hot oilgotta avoid thefireworks that will inevitably ensue if you dont. Keep warm while potatoes fry. Share these decadent Brabant potatoes with those who love you for always pushing yourself forward no matter what life throws your way. A classic Creole recipe for one of New Orleans's most popular Creole dishes. Place diced potatoes in a colander and rinse again under cold water to remove excess starch; drain well. I prefer not to peel them, but thats me. You will want to use a nice starchy potato-best for frying. Add the scallions, parsley, Worcestershire and garlic. (They don't fall apart when I cut them in half first.). They don't always understand gluten intolerance. Fry potatoes for 10 to 12 minutes, until the outsides are starting to brown and get a little crisp. Pour in olive oil, then add onions. Your email address will not be published. Add potato slices and onions in batches. Wild Mushroom Omelette Three egg omelette filled with wild mushrooms, sauted leeks and boursin cheese, served with a buttermilk biscuit, Brabant potatoes and Barnaise 19.00. Your email address will not be published. Place diced potatoes in a colander and rinse again under cold water to remove excess starch; drain well. They make a lighter and healthier alternative to creamy scalloped potatoes or cheesy potatoes au gratin. 2 Large Idaho Potatoes The potatoes do not have to be peeled unless you want them that way. Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste. Drain on dry paper towels. Boil for 2 minutes, then drain and set aside. They go with just about everything, and they last up to two days in the fridge. At the time that she left, she had no idea that when she would be coming back she'd be flying back to a situation like this as it escalated so quickly. I dropped them off to her hotel along with some baked gnocchi and other bits and pieces. Sprinkle some extra chopped parsley on top and toss. The potatoes are ready to serve and they are at their very best right now, but if youre not, just stick them in a 150 degree oven to keep them warm until youre ready-just don't pour on the butter until you are ready to serve. Review. Every morning I send my friends the latest. Drain. The potatoes will be fried in. I do not! document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. It takes a pretty special dish to stand alongside some of the great New Orleans entrees. 2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Minced Everything but the Brabant potatoes were excellent. Also, don't cover them if you put them in the oven because you don't want them to steam and lose their crunch. Firstyou have a beer. Cut the potatoes into -inch cubes, there is no need to peel them. Wagyu Hangar Steak, Brabant Potatoes, Creamed Spinach, Veal Reduction Paneed Veal $25 Potato Gnocchi, Prime Beef Bolognese, Parmigiano Reggiano, Crispy Basil Brunch Bacon Burger $20 Prime Beef, Gruyere Cheese, Bacon, Sunny Side Up Egg. 1/2 Stick Unsalted Butter, cut in pieces You will want to serve this alongside any dish you've ever made. Articles on this website are protected by copyright. If you don't want to parboil the potatoes, just increase the frying time to at least 15 to 18 minutes. I believe that the original recipe calls for boiling the potatoes before frying them. Heat 2 more tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. However, I gradually stopped making the hour-long restaurant exploring trips to NOLA when I went gluten free back in 2010. Just saute them in a pan until the butter is re-melted and they are warmed through. Follow us on. Put the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. 2023 Warner Bros. Remove to meat cut open and add cream cheese, basil and parsley. DUCK & GREENS | duck leg confit,pickled peach stewed greens, calvados sauce Heat about a half inch of vegetable oil in a skillet. I honestly didn't learn of them until I got older. Dry thoroughly between paper towels. In Brabant - Antwerp, Louvain, Brussels, Malines(Mechlin)- and in the episcopal territory of Liege - Liege, Huy, Dinant - there was a feebler repetition of the Flemish conditions. GRUYRE OMELETTE $36.00. New Orleans Air Fried Whole30 Brabant Potatoes The delectable crispy bits of potato are tossed in a flavorful garlicky herb sauce and laid on top of a creamy cajun garlic aioli. Serve. ? This New Orleans classic is more than just a side of fried potatoes, its found in all types of New Orleans restaurants, from the finest creole establishments to the simplest neighborhood corner restaurants. Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to know about, Chef Emeril Launches Kicked Up Footwear Line, Join Chef Emeril Lagasse as he teaches you how to make his signature dishes, 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 pound). Discovery, Inc. or its subsidiaries and affiliates. /* Header Text Ad */ heirloom grape tomatoes, charred corn, asparagus, avocado, red onion, candied pecans, bleu cheese crumble Learn how your comment data is processed. Don't forget the generous drizzle of garlic butter! Season the potatoes to taste with salt and pepper and bake until crisp and deep golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Lay potatoes out on a stack of paper towels and let dry for at least 10 minutes. Try some of my own Le Bon Papa Creole Seasoning instead of Tony's next time! Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Saturday Brunch at Evangeline's Bistro & Music House features our full Brunch Menu 11am - 3pm and local musicians such as folk duo West End Junction (every 1st Saturday), St. Louis Banjo Club (every 2nd Saturday), blues guitarist Joel Gragg, pianist Carl Pandolfi and so many more. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We are just partially cooking them here so don't let them go too long-you should just be able to push a toothpick in part ways. 1. Overcrowding the pan when deep-frying does two things: Served w Not a pickling recipe, but a fun way to dress up some plain dill pickles with some sweet and spicy flavor. If you love potatoes (and who doesn't?) Once they are cooled and peeled, they're fried til crispy golden brown deliciousness. This James Beard semifinalist-helmed restaurant elevates New York delicatessen favorites with baked goods . Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. (You probably won't need salt due to the generous salting of the potato water).