Yugoslavian SKSs are typically the most affordable kind after Chinese examples, and they will usually be in better condition than what you would pay for a Type 56 of the same price. 2. Apparently directly traceable to Chinas Jianshe 26 small arms factory and quote, stored in a neutral country which allows them to be imported, PSA themselves have stated that the guns run the gamut condition-wise. again apply a thin coat of oil to the bore with a final oil soaked patch. Differences between factory markings, years of production and the manufacturing methods of specific individual components can all result in an SKS being worth more than average, but those details are only important to serious collectors. Front sight seat 2. They saw active service with the Albanian military and many were likely used during the Balkan civil war. So while PSA isnt offering hand select, you still have the chance of getting a great wall hanger. With what SKS rifles sell for now, for the cost one would spend, putting parts on it to make it an AK . one can buy an AK and have change. Look at an Albanian rifle's serial number. This website will detail all aspects of the Chinese Type56 SKS carbine from original military examples to commercial models including important data, research, descriptions, pictures, and more. Pull charging handle back and let the bolt For the US consumer, its fixed magazine makes it legal in most states, and in many cases . Weve built dozens of ARs and well cover all the best AR-15 upgrades such as handguards, triggers, BCGs, gas blocks, and more. They were produced at both the Tula (arrow in star factory symbol) and Izhevsk (arrow in triangle in circle factory symbol) and depending on the year of production they could have either hardwood or laminate stocks. Stock assembly There is a quick online search for SKS rifles coming from countries other than Russia. SKS Quick Facts: First Year of Manufacture: 1945 . recommended. Designed by Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov, the SKS-45 was a replacement for the Mosin Nagant M91/30 and the SVT-40 rifles towards the end of the Second World War. 37. To remove the cleaning rod: Swing the ), TO RE-ASSEMBLE REVERSE THE TAKE DOWN Alternate this procedure with Front sight These have been in service for over 70 years and have proven to be outstanding and reliable rifles. Most of the Russian SKS examples in the United States were imported during these four years (as well as several other classic Soviet military surplus firearms). We do some shooting with the Norinco Chinese Type 56 SKS with folding bayonet and discuss who may be interested in one of these in current times. clips. pressure is extracted from the spent cartridges, and they are ejected. While the Romanian Cugir factory stamp is very similar to Izhevsks, they are different. Caliber: rapid firing rifles. You only need to type in the make, model, and serial number. To be fair, identifying and appraising an SKS is not always the easiest of tasks, but it is very doable if you know what to look for. Your email address will not be published. The best part is that the government can't ban this handgun or confiscate it because there's no serial number, no registration and it's 100% legal. As with all surplus firearms, SKS stockpiles eventually began to run dry across the world. 10. One of the first things to look at when you want to know the production date of a Norinco SKS rifle is the symbol. Weve got a dedicated section for the AR-15 here. 14. Everyone else said only one part was not matching, and some had all matching on reviews. My father has gifted me an SKS that he does not recall its origin. While there are plenty of cases of people attempting to sell an SKS for much more than its worth, not every ludicrous price you see is a mistake. There are few guns as rugged and versatile for such a low price. While not exactly rare, Romanian M56s are some of the less common SKSs in the country, so you may have to do some looking before you find one for sale. Clip. These are all reasonably easy fixes if youre so inclined to go hunting for that information, but we, unfortunately, didnt troubleshoot-flowchart ours beforehand. A few even feature personalized artwork carved into the wood by their previous ownersso each purchase is basically like gambling for Fortnite skins in real life or whatever. Like many COMBLOC weapons, removal of this is best done on a press. The bottom of the magazine can be opened to release any rounds which may remain in the weapon. THE TASER PULSE, Windham Weaponry SRC | Gun Carrier Rifle Reviews, Mossberg 935 | Gun Carrier Shotgun Reviews, Windham Weaponry HBC/MPC | Gun Carrier Rifle Reviews, Windham Weaponry Varmint Exterminator | Gun Carrier Rifle Reviews, Gear Review: NightForce SHV 4-14X56 Riflescope, Product Review: Leupold Mark 4 M5 ER/T Scope. anything extra and your That gun spent many days with me at the range, it worked with 100% reliability. In military terms thats a massacre. When the gun is fired, gas So I pulled the trigger and bought one. During the Chinese civil war, the PRC Any info on that? Press J to jump to the feed. Gotta love the SKS, great little rifles. Bayonet assembly I mean yeah, no kidding right? While they can sometimes sell for amounts that begin to approach Russian SKS prices, they can also still be found for a pretty good deal too. (figure2) OK, now that you've determined preban "assault" rifle law, you have to determine the year of importation (IE, the '89 import ban restrictions). recoil spring and receiver. Kalashnikov was (figure7) For what it's worth, I've heard that bayonets fastened on with rivets indicate manufature for export. Her work has appeared in several national literary magazines. So, stop hanging around the trashcans in back of my place; and hit the road back to Nowheresville, the place where you were randomly spawnedand are commonly known as a knob gobbler. Click The AK-47 was the prototype for many Some feature trench art, personal decorative touches from the soldiers they were issued to, and some find that to be even cooler than having an all-matching, original-condition rifle. remain conscious of muzzle position. While these were also very affordable at the time, they never reached the same levels of abundance or inexpensiveness as the Chinese guns. A quick look on gun broker found these paratrooper guns demanding a premium of between $750-$950! 8. If you wanna hear God laugh, tell Him your plans. up firmly on stock separating the two pieces. Gunsmithing, SKS Gunsmithing Clean the gas port block area. Regardless of the specific make or model, the sheer abundance of . Muzzle cap If you take a look at the section of the barrel that the sight assembly was removed from, youll notice it is turned down to a diameter of .548 and is drilled in two locations for the two pins that retain the sight assembly. Any unexpended rounds will now be freed assembly: Hold the small of the stock with your left hand, pressing with your Make at least 10 passes though the barrel the forked end of the tool into the top of the front sight hood. While not nearly as abundant as Chinese models, a healthy number of Russian guns were brought in as well. the Soviets in the early 1900's. Stripped. Starting in the 1980s, SKS rifles were imported to North America, but in 1993 the Bill Clinton administration banned the import of Chinese . If the factory code is in a Triangle its military. Grear, we wont even think of sending any of your family for re-education. Prior to Norinco, the bulk of the Type 56 rifles sold in the US were made at a military arsenal FOR SALE to the US. In terms of actual operation, they function just fine and are about what youd expect considering the territory youre in. We'll send you the latest guides and training tips geared I used two pieces of 1/4 plate steel to support the back side of the assembly in the press, then used a hydraulic press to drive the barrel out of it. Exploded view of SKS 56 There was a time when an SKS could be had for around $100. clockwise. Most, but not all, Chinese SKSs have a spike or pig-sticker type bayonet as well. We'll only use the information provided according to our privacy policy. To me they are a semi auto Winchester 94, not quite as powerful but close. nope, russian,polish,chinese, yugos, etc the list is long and endless of countries that made the sks. the patches, alternating wet and dry until the chamber is clean. standardizing production of these Soviet-type small arms. Have a bunch several Chinese, besides the regular 59, have the paratrooper model and one marked Farmers Friend both are 16 inch instead of 20 inch. My first centerfire rifle was a Chinese Type 56 SKS in a synthetic stock that my father bought me for $80 in 1992. weapons of our time, the AK-47 (Avtomat Kalashnikova) in 1947. 7.62 x 39mm Rebound Disconnector upward to its vertical position and pull the pin out to the right as far as This is why their AKM clones are some of the closest to Soviet spec as well. enthusiasts. Cleaning the SKS: Trigger bar The SKS, or Samozaryadny Karabin Sistemy Simonova, is one of the most famous and influential rifles ever produced. 26. This video is about SKS 7.62. Hold open latch pin 18. The SKS is an economical and relatively reliable 7.62 x 39 rifle. 1. Remove all carbon fouling, Dry with a clean rag, then The buttstock itself feels significantly shorter than what youd expect from a standard rifle. Load with either single rounds or stripper Barrel Latch pin 5. Drilling Guns, Is it a shotgun or a rifle? At the conclusion of World War II, the and the SKS Type 56 with the distinguishing folding bayonet. Rear housing Identifying SKS country of origin of manufacturer. Release the safety. When it comes to 20th century Soviet-era small arms, the 7.62x39mm AK-47 may be the weapon that first comes to mind. Also, the blonde stocks are supposedly for export. SKS 7.62 x 39 Caliber . The Norinco SKS parts should also be original and in good condition. Great video on the type 56 SKS. The most recent batches of SKS imports have been Type 56s bought from Albania, as they received many as military aid from China some years ago. What SKS do you want? THE ABOVE STEPS IN REVERSE ORDER. the magazine cover latch. 3. sportsman as a hunting weapon, and as always with collectors and firearms I believe the SKS may be one of the most under appreciated rifles of the modern era. So youre admitting to be a Nazi piece of shit? For the US consumer, its fixed magazine makes it legal in most states, and in many cases is more than enough gun for hunting, home defense and plinking. Your email address will not be published. Note, though, these symbols will only a give you a rough estimate of the production decade. Many of these rifles, prior to import restrictions against China, made their way to the USA as inexpensive surplus rifles. The original Russian SKS was developed by Sergei Simonov and was designed to take advantage of the Soviets adoption of the M43 7.62X39 intermediate cartridge. 1. Why? Hold open latch But youll likely need to play around with whatever clips youve got to ensure they actually work with your rifle considering the huge amount of tiny variances that can occur considering all of the different countries producing SKS stuff. Im done with your raving, psycho excuse for a personality. Bolt carrier Bought it for my wife for deer hunting about 25 years ago. Again, theyre reasonably minute-of-bad-guy accurate out to about 150-200 yards or so, and thatd likely clean up pretty well if you gave them a more thorough internal cleaning than our basic restore function pass at cosmoline removal. The rifle is now loaded. :-) Blade bayonet was never used for going-to-ground. While the optimized length of pull is obviously supremely subjective and varies person to person, having a whole 3 feet of gun hanging off the front while youve got the stock crammed in real close like a weird rat person just feels funky as hell. This black in color spike bayonet is found on the Albanian SKS, all years. The Chinese continually revised the SKS manufacturing process, so variation can be seen even between two examples from the same . This number indicates the year of manufacture. The SKS is most reliable in it's original form. I have a 1954 Tula in great shape paid around 100 dollars back in 1991. sight post. 31. Follower spring You are amazingly stupid. Recoil Spring Assembly The total length of the bayonet is 11" with the blade being 8" long. The three beats of war, peace, and revolution continue on forever. If your feet smell and your nose runs, your upside down. 1. The rifles safety is located just above the trigger guard, and a quick flick of the firing finger can switch the rifle on and off safe pretty quicklysomething the AK series of rifles lacks even today on modern iterations. Wipe them dry, and then coat the bearing surfaces of the bolt and Mounting the Bayonet: Recoil spring A Russian weapons designer, Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov, invented it. The SKS-56 was encountered frequently Magazine cover Recoil is obviously a bit sharper than a standard AR-15 thanks to that chunky ass 7.6239 cartridge, and the lack of a muzzle device means that most of the impulse is going to be upwards. 48. This translates from Russian as Simonov system's self-loading carbine. This is why their AKM clones are some of the closest to Soviet spec as well. You should not rely solely on information contained in this email to evaluate the product or service being endorsed. Specific historical provenance such as a Vietnam bringback with papers or an extremely rare variation of a model can cause them to be worth far more than normal. A pinned barrel just goes straight into the receiver with no fancy look to it; plus you can see the pin in the side of the receiver. Your ZOG is just Jewish folks being effective Capitalists, and better than in-bred fools like you. Learn how your comment data is processed. With numerous techs, even the old school SKS can perform better with the best SKS scope mount. } 4. As a military weapon, the SKS rifle is Length: 40.20 inches There were only about 24 million SKS rifles produced throughout China. Why a $500 pistol really costs you $1,000 or more! If any of the photos in this post are yours and you explicitly do not want them shown, please contact me at. These typically fetch a higher price than any aforementioned SKS model due to their rarity, but they still sell for relatively sane prices when compared to some other rare SKS variants. bullets point of impact on the target. derivative of Kalashnikov's design. At the same time, M.T. However, as you'll see in the video, I loaded the SKS upside down, with the bolt closed. with the muzzle ring facing the muzzle of the rifle and insert the bayonet pin NOTE: The seven steps listed are sufficient to These rifles were caked in Cosmoline and werent aesthetically pleasing. I was commenting on your post and found a guy who basically supports the idea with fact. 44. Havent shot it much. The Chinese clearly had an affinity for this design, not only producing it in the largest numbers of any nation but for the longest duration and with the most amount of experimentation and development. Disconnector hinge assembly Never attempt to use ammunition of any other caliber in your gun. I emailed them and told them what they sent me, and sent photo's, but they won't even email me back, they will not even offer me any kind of credit back for sending me a bucket full of rusted & rust pitted parts. Magazine view of SKS 56 While expensive for their condition, in todays surplus market that seems to be as low as any dealer is willing to sell them for. In the years following WWII - the Cold War era - many Type 56 rifles were manufactured and distributed to various forces and nations around the world. Drift Click below for a FREE LESSON! Since the SKS and AK are intended to shoot at us, I would call the accuracy "minute of GI.". The Factory code tells all. Cleaning rod (((navigator.appName == "Netscape") && 53. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. It is highly unlikely that it was issued with that mount. Once I cleaned them up and test fired them, I was transported back in time nearly three decades and found a renewed appreciation for the SKS. I think it's easier to identify military versus non-military production by the date of manufacture. For example, to move the group on the target to the left, drift the front Number Produced: Millions from various manufacturers . Next, pull back the charging handle to the Remove the recoil spring from the rear of the bolt carrier. BTW The SKS is a great Communist rifle that the Viet Cong used with great effect in killing American Imperialist scum while liberating their country from our puppet in Hanoi. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Combination Guns. You do not pay The ZOG Imperialist scum were, and their descendants are,The Deep State string pullers that are NOT Americans; the bastards are just here to rip off as much as they canfor their unclean pleasure and that of the illegitimate terror state of Israel. Again My rabbi taught me suicide is a sin, although helping a Nazi pos like you die would be a mitzvah. (figure19) For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. 1. 1. during the Vietnam war. Get the latest news and reviews from Gundigest.com. The weapon created by S.G. Simonov to fire this cartridge Has this ever happened to any of you? Modifications to a firearm may result in personal injury or death, cause the firearm to not function properly, or malfunction, and cause the firearm to become unsafe. In over 30 years as a professional gunsmith I never once got up in the morning and didn't want to go to work. The T53 system of numbering actually went like this: 6/1953 to 12/1953: A000001 thru A62000. I found the conversion to be a lot of fun. tip and push a clean dry patch through the bore. thoroughly with solvent. Its a 75-year-old design, but if youre mostly used to firing guns produced within the latter half of the past century, youll know what I mean. 5. Carbines for Collectors: Simonov System Self Loading Carbine, Yooper John's SKS -- Battle Rifle of Many Nations. Copyright 2016 SKSGUIDE.COM, All Rights Reserved, A: This is by far the most commonly asked question. at 100-300 dollars I'd recommend them as the perfect place to start learning about classic rifles. So it worked out perfectly that Palmetto State Armory appears to have imported what I imagine is a shipping container full of Chinese Type 56 carbineswhich are essentially a Chicom clone of Siemonovs well-known SKS. Buttplate Assembly Always exercise due diligence before purchasing any product or service. It is a quality built Rifle. The only honorable options with Vietnam were either to escape to Canada, or refuse to serve, and go to prison. 4. My MILSURP 56 had a disquieting habit of going full auto when it wanted to. The grunts on the ground were baby killers. (figure18) Unfortunately, this comparison puts us at odds with the most commonly accepted 1956 + millions = year of manufacture guesstimate that is so prolific around the web. or as the result of the use of such ammunition with this firearm. from the muzzle end. Shooting Larry Vickers The Test, Rebarrel a Remington 700 without a lathe: McGowens Remage barrel conversion, Chambering a rifle for an Ackley Improved Cartridge, Building a custom 7mm Rem Mag Hunting Rifle-PART 1, Remington Arms One at a time 1969 Manufacturing Video, Glock firing pin channel removal and replacement. Slam fire. 3. Did not read all the comments, so this may have already been mentioned. Instructions for Unloading:(ALWAYS Hand-Picked Daily GUN DEALS, and Exclusive Coupons Codes >>>. Doug (he runs the store) and I lamented on how we should have purchased some Chinese paratrooper SKS carbines back when they were in plentiful supply. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. 9 Hours To Build A 1911, .45 In Your Basement (Or Garage). While the bulk of these recent imports had very poor condition stocks and finishes, most were still serviceable and fine shooters. Like all military surplus firearms, there are small details that can cause an otherwise normal, reasonably priced SKS to be worth far more than average to the right person. as both the manufacturer and the importer of this firearm specifically disclaim Choke to death on your Shabbos Goyim servile, bullshit buying, stooge bile and vitriol, you raving sub-genius, Proto-Commie dumbass PoS. 10. THE ABOVE STEPS IN REVERSE ORDER. 20. The three characters after it say "Type 56". I believe the SKS may be one of the most under appreciated rifles of the modern era. The third SKS we got is in really pretty impressive condition considering it came from the same source. Any rifle made before 1975 would have to be "military" production (potentially for export to Southeast Asia). apply a light coat of oil. Look here for info and feartures: Celebrating 20 years of AK ownership: 1992-2012. Lay gun on padded table upside down. 17. Sear Aim rifle down range. Now remove the Gas tube/Handguard I asked the wife of a friend of mine. If you like this sort of content, subscribe to the Pew Pew Tactical YouTube Channel! the gas tube/Handguard assembly. Right or wrong? Gasport Cleaning Tool This is my favorite lathe, aPrecision Matthews PM-1440GT. ASSEMBLY REQUIRES ONLY THAT YOU PERFORM 47. assembly, raise the handguard assembly and rock it slowly from side to side Pull charging handle on bolt carrier back The SKS made by them tended to have light blonde stocks, and a rivet rather than a bolt on the bayonet. RELATED:The AK-47 Rifle: An Intro To The Timeless Russian Weapon. Save my name and email to use for future comments. The pins can be drifted out of the front sight assembly by using a bench block and a punch. Literally, millions of SKSs (along with plenty of cheap 7.6239 to feed them) were imported from China between the mid to late 80s and 1994 when President Clinton signed the Norinco Ban, making them the most abundant SKS variant in the United States by far. Exploded Hey, good article. Takedown latch Im wanting to buy replacement parts but Im looking to get a better idea at the root cause before I start messing with things. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. today it remains wildly popular with collectors and recreational shooters, among others. until it can be pulled away from the gas block. Their extremely low prices caused many Americans to view them as poorly made garbage guns not worthy of respect, leading some to victimize them with amateur gunsmithing projects that resulted in poorly welded-on scope rails, home-modified stocks and distasteful rattle can jobs. Other factories in China produced the SKS as well, but all use a similar symbol to identify the factory, typically a stylized number inside of a triangle. Get proficient on YOUR time. Come join the discussion about optics, builds, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! While there are still plenty of places in the world where an SKS could be had for a goat or a few chickens, in America, they have unfortunately garnered collector status and are no longer the dime-a-dozen truck guns they once were. (figure13) CAUTION: Further movement will allow operating rod and spring to To put that into perspective, the AK47 was designed in 1945 and finished in 1947 - hence, the '47. The Soviet Union designed the SKS near the end of WWII and either sold them to favored nations or assisted countries in setting up domestic manufacturing for the rifle. 51. MSFPhover = The bayonet and cleaning rod both needed to be shortened as well. 2.410 f.p.s. The first SKS carbines to come into the U.S. were brought back by veterans during the Vietnam War as trophies. Use Theres definitely a bit of a learning curve to stripper clips, especially if youre going to be drawing them out of a period SKS Chicom rig with the absolutely abysmal wooden toggle closure systems. Extractor A quick trip to the bandsaw (these arent made of hardened steel) and belt grinder to shorten then copy the profile of the original bayonet. Also have a couple of 16 inch models that, I think, China made for US import that take AK magazines from the factory, one with a normal SKS sock, and one with a really ugly thumb-hole stock. Copyright 2023 Pew Pew Media, Inc. All rights reserved. SKS Review: The SKS is an economical and relatively reliable 7.62 x 39 rifle. Before I removed the barreled action from the lathe, I test fit the front sight assembly on the barrel. rear of the ladder as far as it will go. "Norinco 56 - 56S, 84S, 86S". rifle. 2. 24. Oil Can 6. ahh ic ic i thought that but i wasnt sure then i started doubting my self. http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/sks-56.htm, http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/camp/2781/SksMarkings.html, http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/Zarda7/IMG_2520.jpg, The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? towards your level. or a mint yugo (and thats op for a hugo imo) I found one for about $400 in pretty good condition. here to go back to the top of the page. a pin punch to pry the lever located on the right of rear sight base into the Some are more valuable or collectible than others, but when it comes to actually shooting the things, they will all serve you equally well. These guns distributed by Chinese factories are old. (figure17) Bought a Type 56 ChInese (factory code 26) AKS that has a broken stock and and no matching numbers for $200 today. 7. Last round malfunction. 38. Visually inspect the magazine and chamber No problem, So CT's banned List says this abour Norincos. This is not always the case. Magazine: 10-round fixed The password should contain at least 8 characters with at least one number or special character. Use only 7.62x39mm ammunition in your SKS The Type 56 Carbine (not to be confused with the Type 56 Assault Rifle) was nothing more than a local Chinese copy of the Soviet-era Simonov SKS Carbine self-loading rifle and, as such, shared many similarities with the original design including both form and function. The bolt stop will Spring retainer rear and extract and eject the live round in the chamber. 7. With left hand, lift 9. The front sight assembly needs to be indexed then cross pinned to the barrel. Their SKS was banned from import in 1993. We did, however, observe that one of the guns was shooting significantly above its iron sights, but thats likely due to the irons needing to be adjustedthough we suspect some errant barrel cosmoline might be at play with some of the rare flyers we experienced. Im really happy with the finished rifle. position. You can still find abominations like this at just about any gun show, usually sitting in front of someone who says things like I know what I got.. with a screwdriver of proper size. (Be certain to reinstall recoil spring with C Clip end forward.) Time to head over to the lathe. Designated as the M56, Romanian SKSs can be some of the hardest to identify due to how similar they are to the Russian SKS it was directly copied from. At the end of the serial number, there is a dash followed by four numbers. So, lets take a look at the different kinds of SKS that youre likely to encounter on the American second-hand gun market, how to identify them, and what theyre generally worth. // -->