CHER (Tess): I loved performing "Welcome to Burlesque" so much that I decided to recreate a version of it for my live show. They started the number, and. Let's humor them!". Both are really awesome, so, stay tuned! There's not a world where Christina is going to be out-danced or out-sung. [7] Keep your back straight while you bend forward. The burlesque star, and her all-American little sister, the pin-up girl, were crucial ingredients to American pop culture throughout the 20th century. We tested it with an audience, and everyone agreed reshoot it! None of us thought she could do it, and honestly, we weren't concerned because we had the double ready to go. By clicking Sign Up, you agree to our Terms and Conditions and that you have read our Privacy Policy. That was the genesis, Antin said. Generally, the studio wins. Looking back now, I'm thankful he kept it in. Culpepper, Aguilera, and Antin all agreed on Cher, but the issue lay with the stars availability. vevo arrestato volte biglietti contatto un conoscenza ad esempio ospita autorita aspetto di burlesque. It was a very good meeting. AGUILERA: I had always been inspired by throwback classic pin-up art and burlesque style, essentially all things celebrating the female body and sexuality, so I was already versed in the history and appeal of this world, conceptually. I always did," he says). it was all over the place! Then there are the custom shoes and the blisters. One of Christina's costumes was made completely of pearls wired together. That night, Ali and Jack sleep together, but the following morning Jack'sfianc, Natalie (Agron), returns unexpectedly from her play inNew Yorkand tells Ali that the engagement is still on. Most of the flamboyant costumes worn by Cher were her own clothes, some of which were designed by her longtime friend Bob Mackie (interview on The Graham Norton Show (2007) / 18 Dec. 2010). "'She doesnt have enough meat. It's not like we're brother and sister," to which Jack replies "No, we certainly are not." It became very personal. [39] As of February6, 2011[update], it had grossed $39.4 million in North America, and, as of May15, 2011[update], $51.1 million in foreign countries, for a total of $91 million worldwide,[1] and an additional $42 million in domestic video sales (DVD and Blu-ray). CULPEPPER: A lot of people worked really hard to get this movie made. CULPEPPER: If I'm doing my job, it's protecting the studio, and if Steven's doing his job, he's being an advocate for the movie. In the scene where Marcus meets with Tess about his offer, he is seen playing with a ring on his wedding finger when the camera pans to him after Tess's Sandbox comment. Clint was driven to get her on board, and he made it happen. [9] Circa 2002, the group performed at the Roxy Theatre, West Hollywood, with multiple artistsamong them Christina Aguileraand Steven Antin directed some of these shows. It involves doing a back-kick where her heel touches the back of her head. She didn't use any doubles. After leaving Iowa with stars in her eyes, Ali arrives at a Los Angeles burlesque lounge with dreams of taking the stage with her soaring voice. We had a detailed outline, but it was really broad, and more of a comedy, like the old Beatles movies. Electra Avellan was considered for the role of Ali. CULPEPPER: When you want somebody and they're not available, before you move on, you have to see if it's logistically possible [to accommodate], so that's what we did: We frontloaded [Christina's solo parts] before Christmas, and we shot everything with Cher after Christmas. Christina, I've never seen anyone more professional than she was. Then, we cut to the big musical finale,"Show Me How You Burlesque," which is still the same. Christina realized this was new to her and she took it all very seriously, and was committed to working hard on getting it right. It was Pretty Woman on a fire escape. I collected books, had played with burlesque style on my Back to Basics tour, and explored visual concepts and songs (including Nasty Naughty Boy, about a striptease), Aguilera shared. It's not like we're brother and sister," to which Jack replies "No, we certainly are not." It was the most challenging to everybody. She unknowingly walks into a burlesque club run by Tess (Cher), which is facing financial hardship despite its talented group of dancers. Cher [saw us] and went, "Ok, everybody, take five!" I saw her at a party and approached her. Copyright 2023 Meredith Corporation. But, the meat of the narrative was there, and the pair were ready to dot their call sheet with glistening stars beginning with courting Aguilera to play their budding ingenue. After finally quitting her waitressing job and getting out of Dodge (aka Iowa), Ali (Christina Aguilera) lands in Los Angeles, where her plan to get a singing gig quickly goes nowhere.Then she finds the Burlesque Lounge, a popular but down-on-its-high-heels nightclub -- owner Tess (Cher) is juggling two mortgages and has creditors and a real estate shark breathing down her neck -- where . Second, similar choreography. CULPEPPER: [One newspaper] decided they'd do a thing on the back-and-forth between me and Steven about budget and making our days, and it turned it into, 'Oh, these two queens making a movie together,' and that's so reductive and not fair to Christina, Cher, Denise, all the dancers. TRICKY STEWART (songwriter/producer): Christina is a real diva, and being around her and watching her attention to detail, the vibe that she gives me always made me want to make music that I consider to be "fabulous." Michael Kaplan who designed costumes for the film revealed in an interview that he wanted to assign a color to Chers character Tess and actually believed Tess and Cher to be alike in various ways, especially with respect to their professionalism. It stars Cher, Christina Aguilera, Kristen Bell, Cam Gigandet, Stanley Tucci, Julianne Hough, Alan Cumming, and Peter Gallagher, and features cameos from Dianna Agron, and James Brolin. The "Dirrty" singer added that she channeled her lack of acting experience into the character. She unknowingly walks. She really had my back on that song. But, Christina worked so hard. DIANE WARREN (songwriter): At first, I wrote something else, I sent that in, and they didn't want that, and I don't even remember what that song was. Aguilera and Cher both contributed to the album. Keep your legs straight while you bend and then bring your body back up, running your hands up your legs. Of course, that makes me happy that 10 years later people are still embracing it and new people are still discovering it. It's important to have a communication and a special understanding of each other. The soundtrack received a nomination at the 54th Grammy Awards for Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media. I also have two TV shows in development now, both involving music. I don't hold grudges. Others, I lost. It was a lifetime of lessons compacted into a short period of time, in so many ways. I think you should give it to someone else. I had an initial meeting with Amy Pascal and Clint Culpepper, and I said, I just dont think shes for me. She smiled and said, "Oh my God, this is going to be fun!" AGUILERA: I wanted to make sure Burlesque felt right before confirming, so it was important to meet Steven in person. Starring: Cher, Christina Aguilera, Alan Cumming Watch all you want. . So, he introduced Aguilera to her idol on the Sony lot after Cher committed to the project. Antin filmed Aguileras performance too. ANTIN: I'd talked to a few different studios and networks about the project with my ex-producing partner, Joe Voci. CHRISTINA AGUILERA (Ali/songwriter): I'd been presented other acting and movie opportunities, but was holding out for something that felt right. Entertainment Weekly is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. Once Ali slinks down into the "faded glamour" of the club for the first time, the whole thing unfolds like Alice down a rabbit hole, with each choreographed dance trimmed with both grit and glitz. But, I'm happy the gay community embraced it and I'm happy that people still enjoy watching it. [9] Nolfi applauded Burlesque as "a campy, niche classic". She was adorable, reading off her iPhone kind of scared with something prepared, and the songs blew us away. She and Steven sat and played ideas for music, [later] she went into his office and saw all the books he'd collected on production design and photography all stuff that appealed to her. The Glee alum made a cameo appearance as Jack's fiance, Natalie, who returns from New York to find her beau in bed with Ali. Stanley Tucci's character smokes in many of his scenes at The Burlesque Lounge, including in the front of the house. At the end of its box office run, Burlesque grossed $90 million worldwide, with multiple millions more in home video sales. We begged for five minutes of her time. CULPEPPER: We [later] went out to dinner with Christina and her [then-husband Jordan Bratman], we went to her house and listened to a bunch of music and got to know each other. I have to hear everything!". I got some cameras and shot the show over a few nights and edited together a little movie. Struggling to find a gig, she discovers a dazzling underground club, where the marquee attraction is beyond the muscly hunk Jack (Cam Gigandet) tending bar a troupe of confident, ravishing dancers (Kristen Bell, Julianne Hough) in complete control of their bodies (and the eyes that gaze upon them) while they writhe, lip-sync, and twirl, tempting Ali into their wonderland of dance. we're going to take you right up there [to Steven's office] and talk you into doing this movie!" Cher revealed that, other than herself, the oldest actress in the cast was just 32 (interview with Charlie Stayt on BBC's Breakfast (2000) / 17 Dec. 2010). The difference is, in every movie, the director isn't in a relationship with the studio. [21] A Blu-ray/DVD combo has been released as well. I was offered Mamma Mia with Meryl Streep but I was on the road so I couldn't do it. Milla Jovovich was considered for the role of Tess. Cher actually got the copy of the script via her producer friend David Geffen who knew about the project since Culpepper and his boyfriend Antin had come up with the project on his yacht during a week-long vacation. ANTIN: Especially on a movie like this, it's anegotiation with theactors, all thedifferent departments, production design, makeup, hair, the executives, the agents, managers To be clear, the studio wasn't trying to change anything in particular. I tried to put her at ease. I also developed and sold several TV shows I wrote the pilots for, so I've kept busy. They had to rewrite the character because I was just like, This girl doesnt have a lot of drive,' she said at the time. The Believe singer told Collider in November 2010 that she felt an immediate connection to Aguilera, whom she tried to mentor during filming. How come individuals court relationship where the son is a lot old versus lady? Robert Pattinson, Kellan Lutz, Taylor Lautner were considered to play Jack, before the role went to fellow Twilight star Cam Gigandet. The soundtrack album features ten tracks: eight performed by Aguilera including "Express"; and two performed by Cher which are her first original recordings in 7 years. She also performed "Express" on the final of the seventh series of The X Factor which received criticism and complaints for the raunchy content. It was in the high-90s, and that's rare. Now that it's taken on this cult following, Cher has a whole new audience of young girls. The theatrical trailer was attached to screenings of Step Up 3D and Easy A. "[31] Stanley Tucci's performance received praise from Entertainment Weekly[32] and Empire thought the dance numbers were thrilling. Once in L.A., she tries and fails at every audition she does until one night, she finds herself unknowingly in aburlesqueclub when she hears the music on the street. Despite Nikki's (Kristen Bell) attempt to thwart Ali's (Christina Aguilera) performance, Ali's live vocals save the show.#hdclips #moviescenes #musical #burlesque #Cher #EricDane #ChristinaAguileraWatch the full movie! I never saw [Steven] after that. One night after the club closes, Tess grows increasingly worried about her financiallity before a drunken Nikki shows up, accusing Tess of rejecting their long friendship. Amazed by the flamboyant costumes and the breathtaking choreography, Ali swears to herself that one day she too will be on the stage. Although Cher enjoyed her time working on the movie, she admitted in 2013 that she wasn't proud of the project. That song is hers. "I put that energy into how I really was feeling, approaching acting in the first place, which was wide-eyed and as a newcomer, who was open and vulnerable to everyones opinions and ideas, and ready to learn." The credits play over a background of the stage set from the final scene ("Show Me How to Burlesque" dance number). She owned it. And really terrible script. I wasnt there for that meeting, and I believe Clint helped in getting her to say yes, Antin revealed in the same interview. One thing Antin initially wanted to remove from the film, however, has since grown into one of its most iconic moments: Cher's solo number, "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me," which sees her singing a meta tune (penned by longtime collaborator Diane Warren) about resilience. I think it was my 19th song I'd done with Cher, and I knew what it would sound like in my head, but it sounded better, if that's possible. ANTIN: Christina had to become familiar with the entire process of acting. [jwplayer eTtrv57w-zhNYySv2] - no indeed.". "[27][28] Mick LaSalle from San Francisco Chronicle gave the movie a full score and praised Aguilera's acting, calling her "jaw-droppingly good in several numbers" and said, "Aguilera knows how to listen to her fellow actors, to react and be spontaneous, and it makes all the difference". Kelly Stables was considered for the role of Tess. Lisa Kudrow was considered for the role of Ali. With a budget of $55 million, Burlesque is one of Screen Gems' most expensive films outside of the Resident Evil franchise. Sean: [from trailer] So, is Ali short for anything? Burlesque (2010) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. The film follows Ali as she fights her way from the bar to the stage while juggling a love triangle between sensitive bartender Jack (Cam Gigandet) and wealthy real estate developer Marcus (Eric Dane). The DVD has sold over 1.4 million units in the United States. I started to sweat and panic. But Christina quietly kept rehearsing it and trying it and working on it, and one day she said to me, "I don't need a dance double. It did, however, win a Golden Globe, so perhaps I was wrong! At the head of it all is Cher's Tess, the club's tough-as-nails owner struggling to keep the venue afloat after the 2008 financial crisis, who gambles it all on Ali's voice as she attempts to turn a promising newcomer into a star and a profit in the process. Aguilera performed "Express" at the American Music Awards of 2010 and "Show Me How You Burlesque" at the Dancing with the Stars finale. Yes, the gays love it, but there's no one in town that's surprised that the gays are going to love something that Christina Aguilera and Cher do together! Despite its mixed reception, the film did modestly at the box office, grossing $91 million worldwide and earning an additional $42 million in domestic video sales. What's happening in this Burlesque movie clip?Ali and the Burlesque Lounge Troupe perform "Express" on stage at the Burlesque.Click to Buy/Rent Burlesque on . Ali also meets songwriter Jack Miller (Cam Gigandet) at the club's bar. One has to be quick and prepared for someone like Christina in a meeting. Most of the stand-ins for the female dancers in the performances of the Burlesque club were actually former members of The Pussycat Dolls, the Las Vegas burlesque-troupe-turned-pop-group (uncredited though). I can't even remember where. and then came Cher. Hoda Kotb Makes Pre-Taped Appearance on 'Today' Amid Continued Absence, Formula 1 Driver Max Verstappen and GF Kelly Piquet's Relationship Timeline, PDA in the Rink! Feeling heartbroken and betrayed, Ali runs to Sean for support, who prompts her to go with Marcus after his phone call. It was obviously an audience that loved Cher and Christina, but I was worried. He believed in the project, but I just couldn't get my head wrapped around a story that I thought worked. Part of the a360media Entertainment Group.Powered by WordPress VIP. Just us." The film eventually pulled in $17.3 million over the five-day holiday frame in fourth place behind a Harry Potter film, Tangled, and the animated holdover Megamind. I went to the drum machine that I use and just [plays drum], the first thing that popped off was how it needed to feel and move. Aguilera and Cher developed a close bond behind-the-scenes of the film that emulated their characters budding mother-daughter relationship in the movie. What, I don't have a brain? She did it on the day we shot it over and over. Credit: Thierry Carpico/News Pictures/Shutterstock. The soundtrack album features ten tracks: eight performed by Aguilera, including "Express"; and two performed by Cher, which are her first original recordings in 7 years. But, like Tess and her wise, right-hand gay, Sean (Stanley Tucci), the film's journey became all about making do with what you have and throwing a little glitter over the grease when the odds are stacked against you. But Clint came up with and loved the idea of Cher. I'd put clothes in her room every day and she'd walk out combining them in a different way than I thought she would. It was Jack and Ali saying goodbye, and then he gets into a taxi to go to the airport to go somewhere. The "Beautiful" singer portrayed Ali, a small-town girl who heads to Los Angeles with big dreams and a dynamic voice to back up her determination to see her name in lights. The reason Cher accepted a supporting role in a film was that she believed this may be her last opportunity to be in a starring role where she gets to sing. Loft Assistant: Katerina Kopel . The photo of seven-year-old Ali with her mother is actually a photo of a much younger Christina Aguilera with her real-life mother, Shelly Kearns. When Georgia (Julianne Hough), one of the leading dancers, becomes pregnant, auditions are held in search of a replacement to fill her role. The first instrumental Ali dances to during her audition is the background music from "Nasty Naughty Boy," performed by Christina Aguilera. So did Christina. One decade after the film's Nov. 24, 2010 release, those who took writer-director Steven Antin's vision from far-off fantasy to a dream come true all attest: The memories of the magic they experienced on set are still as vivid as they were all those years ago. The idea for "Express," when the girls are crawling through the vanities, we came up with that there, and the idea for the "Burlesque" letters lighting up at the end, we came up with that and using the 360 degrees of the space because it was so gigantic there. She wanted it to reflect more of today's woman. CULPEPPER: The biggest challenge was making sure we had all the coverage for the dance numbers, but I was seeing that stuff cut together, because Steven was asking an editor to cut it together as he was going on so he knew what pieces he had to get. After a few days, Denise said we weren't going to need a body double. Tell me you don't have the flu. I just learned what downstage and upstage is. He is the brother of the group's creator, Robin Antin. Jana Kramer was considered for the role of Tess. After her selfish boss refuses salary, Ali steals from him and moves to Los Angeles. [9] The first outline of the screenplay was written by Antin and Clint Culpepper, the Screen Gems' president. After Ali's debut as the lead, she asks Jack what he thinks about her outfit. I can do it." Both Electra Avellan and Rose McGowan was considered for the role of Ali. Upon seeing the waitress shortage, Ali picks up a tray and begins serving. This tune was replaced in the DVD version. [It's all a] normal process of making a movie. AGUILERA: Every dancer moved their body in a different unique way, and it's a beautiful thing to appreciate and fall in love with dance on the personal level that this movie provided for me.